Fourteen civilians, two soldiers dead in Ivory Coast resort attack

The gunmen were not identified and it was unclear if they were affiliated with any militant group. Security forces were called to the scene.

By REUTERS
March 13, 2016 18:41
1 minute read.

Ivory Coast attack

Ivory Coast attack

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

At least 16 people, including four Europeans and two soldiers, were killed on Sunday when gunmen opened fire on beachgoers at a resort town in Ivory Coast, a officer from the national police said.

"For the moment, we have a total of 12 dead, including four Europeans ... We don't know yet if there are others. We are doing clean-up operations right now," the officer told security forces during a briefing attended by a Reuters reporter

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The shooting took place at Grand Bassam, a weekend retreat for Abidjan residents about 40 km east of the commercial capital Abidjan. Its beaches, bars and hotels are popular with Westerners.

The gunmen were not identified and it was unclear if they were affiliated with any militant group. Security forces were called to the scene.

According to an online monitoring group, Al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb says it is responsible for the attack.

"I saw seven dead that I filmed. There were four attackers. I was swimming when it started and I ran away," said Dramane Kima, who showed the video of the bodies to Reuters.

He also took pictures of grenades and ammunition clips that he believed had been left behind by the attackers.



A Reuters witness saw two wounded people.

The incident took place nearly two months after Islamist fighters killed dozens of people in a hotel and cafe frequented by foreigners in neighboring Burkina Faso's capital Ouagadougou, raising concern that the reach of militancy in West Africa was spreading.

Related Content

A picture illustration shows a Facebook logo reflected in a person's eye
August 22, 2018
Facebook: Iran behind new disinformation social network

By MICHAEL WILNER