Indonesia says at least one killed, 60 missing in illegal mine landslide

"Evacuation efforts continued through the night because of the number of people estimated to be buried," disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said.

By REUTERS
February 27, 2019 03:30
Indonesia says at least one killed, 60 missing in illegal mine landslide

Indonesian police officers walk with dog as they search for victims following landslides in Gowa, South Sulawesi, Indonesia, January 26, 2019 in this photo taken by Antara Foto. Picture taken January 26, 2019. (photo credit: ANTARA PHOTO AGENCY VIA REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later



JAKARTA, Feb 27 - Indonesia's disaster agency said on Wednesday rescuers were searching for survivors after more than 60 people were feared buried by the collapse of an illegal gold mine on the island of Sulawesi.

The agency said in a statement one person had been found dead and 13 people rescued by 5 a.m on Wednesday (2200 GMT Tuesday) after the collapse the previous evening at the site in the Bolaang Mongondow area of North Sulawesi province.



"When dozens of people were mining for gold at the location, suddenly beams and supporting boards they used broke due to unstable land and numerous mining shafts," disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said.



Photos released by the agency showed rescue workers and villagers on a muddy hillside at night scrambling to pull out survivors and carry them away on stretchers.



"Evacuation efforts continued through the night because of the number of people estimated to be buried," Nugroho said.

The central government has banned such small-scale gold mining, although regional authorities often turn a blind eye to the practice in more remote areas. With little regulation, the mines are prone to accidents.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

World Zionist Organization vice chairman Yaakov Hagoel stands next to the almost identical replica o
July 22, 2019
WZO to reveal almost identical replica to missing Herzl coffin cover

By ILANIT CHERNICK

Cookie Settings