Judge rejects Trump request for long-term detention of immigrant children

Los Angeles US District Court Judge Dolly Gee dismissed as "dubious" and "unconvincing" the US Justice Department's proposal to modify a 1997 settlement known as the Flores Agreement.

By REUTERS
July 10, 2018 08:02
2 minute read.
US President Donald Trump receives a briefing from senior military leadership at the Cabinet Room of

US President Donald Trump receives a briefing from senior military leadership at the Cabinet Room of the White House in Washington, DC April 9, 2018. . (photo credit: CARLOS BARRIA / REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

July 9 - A US federal judge on Monday rejected the Trump administration's request to allow long-term detention of illegal immigrant children, a legal setback for President Donald Trump's push to detain immigrant families taken into custody at the US-Mexico border.

Los Angeles US District Court Judge Dolly Gee dismissed as "dubious" and "unconvincing" the US Justice Department's proposal to modify a 1997 settlement known as the Flores Agreement, which says that children cannot be held in detention for long periods.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The government made its request in June after public outcry over its policy of separating children from parents who entered the United States illegally. A judge in a different case in San Diego ordered the government last month to reunite the families it had separated.

The government asserted in its Flores filing that the San Diego ruling would necessitate longer-term detention of children, since that would be the only way to both reunite them with their parents and keep the parents incarcerated during their immigration proceedings.

“Defendants advance a tortured interpretation of the Flores Agreement in an attempt to show that the … injunction permits them to suspend the Flores release and licensure provisions,” she wrote.

Previous administrations often released families apprehended at the border to pursue their immigration claims while living freely in the United States. But Trump has vowed to end what he calls "catch-and-release."



A Related Video You May Like:
 
Protesters across the US rally against Trump immigration policies, June 30, 2018 (Reuters)

In a statement, US Justice Department spokesman Devin O'Malley said the administration disagreed with the ruling but said it appeared to allow the government to continue some practices.

"Parents who cross the border will not be released and must choose between remaining in family custody with their children pending immigration proceedings or requesting separation from their children so the child may be placed with a sponsor,” he said.

The plaintiff's attorney Peter Schey disputed that interpretation, saying the judge's ruling deals with children and "does not address laws, regulations or rules dealing with the release of parents."

Gee called the administration's request for relief from the Flores agreement "a cynical attempt... to shift responsibility to the judiciary for over 20 years of congressional inaction and ill-considered executive action."

Last week John Mendez, a US District Court Judge in Sacramento appointed by former President George W. Bush, struck a similar note in a ruling on a case challenging California’s sanctuary law.

Mendez said he was joining an “ever-growing chorus” of judges to urge “elected officials to set aside the partisan and polarizing politics dominating the current immigration debate and work in a cooperative and bi-partisan fashion toward drafting and passing legislation that addresses this critical political issue.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Kosovo President Hashim Thaci speaks during interview in Pristina, Kosovo August 14, 2018
September 21, 2018
Kosovo will open embassy in Jerusalem if recognized, president says

By CASSANDRA GOMES-HOCHBERG