Landslide in southern Philippines kills 16, buries 30 houses

By
May 19, 2009 05:04

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A mudslide triggered by heavy rains has buried 30 houses in the Philippines, killing at least 16 people and leaving 20 others missing, a southern Philippine governor said Tuesday. Governor Arthur Uy of Compostela Valley province said most of the victims of Monday's landslide were small-scale miners living on the foothills of a mountain where mudslides are common. Uy said that the area around Pantukan township had been saturated by rain and that residents ignored warnings to leave. He said at least 20 people were missing and an additional 14 injured, and that the bad weather was hampering the rescue operation.

Related Content

August 15, 2018
US tensions with Turkey deepen amid standoff over detained pastor

By MICHAEL WILNER