London insurer offers 1 million euros for Cannes jewel heist clues

Lloyd's of London offers money in exchange for clues that could recover jewels seized in a heist in Cannes resort.

By REUTERS
August 6, 2013 17:23
1 minute read.
A POLICEMAN stands on the balcony of the Carlton Hotel in Cannes .

Carlton Hotel in Cannes Leviev posters 370. (photo credit: Eic Gaillard/Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

PARIS - A Lloyd's of London insurer is offering up to 1 million euros ($1.3 million) in exchange for clues that could recover jewels worth an estimated $136 million seized in a heist in the French Riviera resort of Cannes last month.

The broad-daylight looting by a lone thief of precious jewellery on exhibition at the Carlton Hotel was France's biggest ever gem theft.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"A reward of up to 1,000,000 euros pro rata is offered to the first person who provides information which leads to recovery of the goods," SW Associates, a Paris-based loss adjuster and risk manager working for Lloyd's of London, said in a statement.

The statement, with photographs of two diamond rings, a brooch and a necklace from among the stolen pieces, will be published in Le Parisien, Nice-Matin and the International Herald Tribune newspapers on Wednesday, SW Associates Managing Director John Shaw told Reuters.

He said it was hoped the reward was enough to encourage a witness, a person close to the robbers or someone who has been approached to buy the jewels to come forward with information.

Any payout would take time. "We have to get the jewellery back first, evaluate the value of the recovered jewellery and then, once the police is satisfied we're not about to recompense the robbers, we can arrange the payment," Shaw said.

The heist took place around midday when a thief wearing a cap and scarf and armed with an automatic pistol burst into the Carlton, threatened security guards and sales staff and left moments later with a briefcase containing 72 pieces of jewellery from a collection belonging to diamond specialist Leviev.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


In 2008, SW Associates offered a $1 million reward for information about a $105 million jewel heist from the Harry Winston store in Paris and recovered more than half the stolen pieces thanks to a person coming forward.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Prince Show
October 15, 2018
Prince-orchestrated tribute to turn Israel purple

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF