Man surrenders after US bus bomb scare

Passenger walks off bus with hands raised after nine-hour standoff.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
May 6, 2010 20:35
1 minute read.
Passenger on US bus surrenders to authorities.

us bus bomb scare 311. (photo credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire — A passenger on a Maine-to-New York Greyhound bus surrendered to authorities Thursday night after a nine-hour standoff sparked by a bomb scare.

The man walked off the bus with his hands up and got to his knees. He then walked away from the bus, apparently following orders from police.

The 16 other passengers and driver on the bus, which was surrounded by a bomb squad and sharpshooters, including one in an armored vehicle, had been removed hours earlier.

The ordeal began Thursday morning, when one of the passengers called police to report an explosive device on board.

The emergency call came after the bus arrived in the seaside city of Portsmouth around 11:30 a.m. and was "based on someone's observations," police Capt. Mike Schwartz said. It was unclear which passenger made the call.

Greyhound spokeswoman Maureen Richmond said the driver properly parked and secured the bus and got out. Police surrounded the bus and evacuated nearby buildings and streets.


The passengers were on the parked bus for more than two hours before police started calling most of them out under the watch of a sharpshooter. They left the bus separated by a couple of minutes each and carried no purses or bags. Most held their hands aloft as they passed officers with their weapons drawn.

The passengers were screened individually when they got off the bus — much like an airport security check — and were taken to the Portsmouth police station. None appeared to be injured as they left the bus; Schwartz said one was taken to a hospital because of a medical condition.

The last man, who police said was wearing camouflage pants, remained aboard and communicated with police during the standoff.

Some of the other passengers finally resumed their trip on a replacement bus just before 8 p.m., more than an hour after the original bus had been scheduled to arrive in New York City.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A peacekeeper from the United Nations African Miss
January 20, 2019
Ten UN peacekeepers from Chad killed in attack in northern Mali

By REUTERS