Manchester mall evacuated amid reports of blast hours after concert bombing

Developing story: The Arndale center has reportedly reopened following the temporary evacuation; suspect arrested.

By REUTERS
May 23, 2017 13:51
1 minute read.

Manchester's Arndale shopping centre evacuated - Reuters witness (credit: REUTERS)

Manchester's Arndale shopping centre evacuated - Reuters witness (credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

MANCHESTER, England - A major shopping center in the northern English city of Manchester is now reopening after it was temporarily evacuated, a Reuters witness said on Tuesday.

Police had begun removing the cordon and workers were slowly being allowed back into site, he said.

Authorities later said they arrested a man at the mall and they do not believe the incident was connected with the attack that killed 22 people in the same northern English city.

"A man has been arrested at the Arndale Centre – this is not currently believed to connected to last night's attacks," Greater Manchester Police said on Twitter.

A Reuters witness said police had begun removing the cordon and workers were slowly being allowed back into the center after it was closed earlier on Tuesday.


Earlier on Tuesday a separate Reuters witness reported scores of people running from the Arndale shopping center, with some saying they had heard a big bang.

At least 22 people, including some children, were killed and 59 were wounded when a suicide bomber struck as thousands of fans streamed out of a concert by US singer Ariana Grande in the English city of Manchester on Monday.


Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu climbs out after a visit inside the Rahav, the fifth submarine in
March 25, 2019
German prosecutor opens proceeding into submarines deal - report

By URI BOLLAG