N. Korea presses US to accept talks

N. Korea presses US to a

By
November 2, 2009 05:46
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

North Korea pressed the United States to accept its demand for direct talks on the communist regime's nuclear program, saying Monday "we will go our own way" unless Washington agrees. North Korea's Foreign Ministry did not elaborate on its comment, which appeared to be a threat to enlarge its nuclear arsenal. The ministry statement came as North Korea's No. 2 nuclear negotiator, Ri Gun, wrapped up a rare trip to the US where he met with the chief American nuclear negotiator, Sung Kim, amid media speculation the two discussed setting up bilateral negotiations. North Korea has been demanding direct talks with Washington after conducting a series of nuclear and missile tests and quitting six-party nuclear negotiations involving China, Japan, the two Koreas, Russia and the US earlier this year. "As we have stated our position that we can hold multilateral talks, including the six-party talks, after talks with the US, it is the US turn to make a decision," the North's ministry said. "If the US is not ready to sit face-to-face with us, we will go our own way." In an attempt to add urgency, the North has issued statements that it is enlarging its nuclear stockpile. The regime has said it was "weaponizing" plutonium and succeeded in enriching uranium, a second way of building atomic bombs. The US has said it is willing to engage North Korea in bilateral talks if it leads to resumption of the stalled six-party talks. Officials in Washington have said, however, no decision has been made whether to accept the North's offer of direct talks. North Korea has long called for direct talks with the US to resolve the nuclear standoff, saying it was compelled to develop atomic bombs to cope with what it calls "US nuclear threats." The US has denied it has any intention of attacking the North.

Related Content

August 20, 2018
Report: Jeremy Corbyn attended conference with senior Hamas figures

By JULIANE HELMHOLD