Nazi-era art hoard makes German exhibition debut in Bonn

The art had been seized during WWII and labeled "degenerate."

By REUTERS
November 2, 2017 21:08
1 minute read.
'Gurlitt: Status Report - Nazi Art Theft and its Consequences' exhibition at the Bundeskunsthalle in

'Gurlitt: Status Report - Nazi Art Theft and its Consequences' exhibition at the Bundeskunsthalle in Bonn, Germany, November 2, 2017.. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BERLIN, November 2 - Some 250 art works from a huge trove hoarded by a collector during the Nazi era went on display in Germany for the first time on Thursday, as its curators pursue efforts to find the rightful owners of pieces identified as looted.

German art dealer Hildebrand Gurlitt built up the collection after being enlisted by the Nazis to sell modern art they had seized from German museums and collectors and labeled "degenerate".

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


His son Cornelius inherited the collection, which includes works by Pablo Picasso and Henri Matisse as well as older masterpieces, and kept it in his Munich apartment for decades.

Gurlitt bequeathed the 1,500 works to Switzerland's Kunstmuseum Bern, which inherited them after his death in May 2014.

The collection is now being displayed simultaneously in Bern and in Germany's former capital Bonn, with part of the latter exhibition focusing on works stolen from individual collectors.

The display at the German Federal Gallery includes works by Claude Monet, Max Beckmann, Albrecht Duerer and Pieter Brueghel, whose works are presented alongside biographies of people from whom the Nazis stole art.

At least two works on display have been confirmed as looted and attempts to identify their original owners are ongoing.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


"In total, there are six which were clearly identified as looted art. Many works are still being investigated and they might also turn out to be looted," Rein Wolfs, the exhibition curator, told Reuters Television.

Germany's Culture Minister Monika Guetters said the government had allocated $7.6 million (6.5 million euros) to researching the original owners' identities.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu meets Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, October 21, 2018
October 21, 2018
Netanyahu calls on Mnuchin to stop Iranian aggression

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF