New Zealand police lock down city in standoff with gunman

May 7, 2009 08:52


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

School children huddled in classrooms and office workers hunkered down in high rises after police locked down part of a New Zealand city Thursday during a standoff with a gunman suspected of killing one officer and shooting three other people. Police cordoned off part of the North Island city of Napier, closing some stores, locking people out of scores of houses and ordering residents who were at home to remain indoors. Officers surrounded a house where the gunman fired a fusillade of shots from an automatic rifle during a drug raid, Superintendent Sam Hoyle said. One officer was killed in the shooting and two others seriously wounded, along with a bystander. The dead officer's body lay on the lawn of the house as the standoff continued seven hours after the shootings, Hoyle told reporters.

Related Content

August 20, 2018
Report: Jeremy Corbyn attended conference with senior Hamas figures