Photo of Manchester attacker, new details released by UK police

22-year-old Salman Abdei, a Libyan national, killed 22 people at an Ariana Grande concert in a major Manchester arena Monday.

By REUTERS
May 28, 2017 06:01
1 minute read.
UK police release image of the Manchester attacker.

UK police release image of the Manchester attacker. . (photo credit: HANDOUT)

British police on Saturday released a photograph of Salman Abedi on the night he killed 22 people in a suicide bomb attack in Manchester and said they believed an apartment in the city center was where he put together his device.

"We know one of the last places Abedi went was the city center flat and from there he left to make his way to the Manchester Arena," Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins and Neil Basu, Senior National Coordinator UK Counter Terrorism Policing said in a joint statement.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"The flat is highly relevant as a location which we believe may be the final assembly place for the device."

Hopkins and Basu said they had gathered significant information about Abedi, a 22-year-old Briton born to Libyan parents, how his bomb was built, his associates, finances, the places he had been and the wider conspiracy.

However, police needed any information the public might have about his movements from May 18 when he returned to Britain.

They said the investigation was not slowing, with some 1,000 officers involved, and the priority was to determine if more people were involved in planning the attack.
UK police arrest fifth person in connection with Manchester attack (credit: REUTERS)


Related Content

May 25, 2018
Two men set off bomb in restaurant in Canada, 15 wounded

By REUTERS