Report: Brussels terrorists initially planned to strike Paris

"Numerous elements in the investigation have shown that the terrorist group initially had the intention to strike in France again," says Belgian prosecutor.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
April 11, 2016 08:38
1 minute read.
brussels suspects

Security camera footage shows three men that Belgian police suspect of carrying out the attacks in Brussels. (photo credit: screenshot)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Terrorists behind the Brussels bombings had originally planned to strike Paris, but were forced to avert their plans and strike elsewhere as police closed in, according to a CNN report.

According to the report, investigators have reason to believe that the same Islamic State network was responsible for plotting November's Paris attacks and last month's Belgian bombings. They believe that the terror cell planned to strike once more in Paris following November's attacks, yet fearing discovery upon learning that French investigators were progressing in their investigation, changed their plans.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The CNN report cites the Belgian prosecutor's office in a statement saying that, "numerous elements in the investigation have shown that the terrorist group initially had the intention to strike in France again."

Investigations into the Paris attacks, which killed 130 people, showed that many of the perpetrators lived in Belgium, including surviving suspects who managed to evade police for more than four months.

Prime suspect Salah Abdeslam was arrested on March 18 in the Belgian capital, four days before suicide bombers killed 32 people in Brussels airport and a rush-hour metro train.

"Eventually ... they [the terrorists] urgently took the decision to strike in Brussels," the prosecutor said.

Last month, investigators recovered a laptop in Brussels which confirmed suspicions that the terror cell was plotting further attacks in Paris. On the laptop was a document listing targets in Paris including the city's financial district, known as La Defense, and a Catholic association.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


French Prime Minister Manuel Valls, in the wake of  the recent attacks on Europe, said that the entire European continent faced a "very high threat" from militants.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

October 21, 2018
Head of German Jewish community revealed to be non-Jewish

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL