Kenyan soldier outside beseiged mall 370.
(photo credit: REUTERS)
Israeli forces have joined Kenyan troops in the effort to save hostages
from al-Qaida-linked Somali terrorists at a Nairobi mall where gunmen killed at least 59 people on Saturday, AFP reported on Sunday.
The Jerusalem Post
"The Israelis have just entered and they are rescuing the hostages and the injured," AFP quoted a security source as saying.
could not confirm the veracity of the report.
quoted an Israeli security source as saying Israeli advisers were
helping Kenya with "negotiating strategy" to help end the siege.
"There are Israeli advisers helping with the negotiating
strategy, but no Israelis involved in any imminent storming
operation," said the source, who gave no further details and
asked not to be identified.
The source said only a "handful" of Israelis, "purely in an advisory role", were on scene at the upscale Westgate shopping center, which has several Israeli-owned outlets and is frequented by expatriates and Kenyans.
An Israeli source in Nairobi said all Israelis who were in the mall at the time of the attack had made it out safely, with the last three rescued overnight.
There were conflicting reports from other security sources in Nairobi about the part Israel was playing.
One Kenyan security source, who asked not to be identified, told Reuters that the Israeli military was involved in the operation, while a private security official also said they were helping comb the mall.
But Kenyan Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku insisted it was a national operation, despite offers of foreign support.
said Sunday that an unknown number of hostages remained in the
mall, held by an estimated 10-15 gunmen.
Earlier on Sunday gunfire erupted at the mall, lasting about 30 seconds after a period of tense quiet.
after the shots were fired, troops in camouflage ran crouching below a
restaurant terrace along the front of the building that had been buzzing
with customers when assailants charged in. One witness said they first
told Muslims to leave.
Al Shabaab, the al-Qaida-linked group that claimed the attack, which is battling Kenyan and
other African peacekeepers in Somalia, had repeatedly threatened attacks
in Kenya if Nairobi did not pull its troops out of their country.
Shimon Peres sent a letter of condolence to President Uhuru Kenyatta of
Kenya expressing sorrow at the needless loss of life in the horrific
terror attack on the Nairobi shopping mall. In offering his prayers for
the release of the hostages and the full recovery of the injured, Peres
also conveyed his sympathy to the families of the victims.
termed terrorism to be a global threat stating those who perpetrate it
make no distinction between young and old, men and women. "There is no
justification for the murder of innocent civilians" he wrote, assuring
Kenyatta that "Israel stands shoulder to shoulder with the Kenyan
government and people at this difficult time." Peres noted that "we in
Israel know the pain of terror and will do whatever we can to support
the people of Kenya."
In a statement released by President's
office, Peres declared that terrorists are killing not only innocent
people but innocent countries. "They are destroying country after
country and they don't care about the extent of the damage" he stated.
"It's a phenomenon that we now see at its peak, but not at its end."
Peres urged all countries of the world to immediately take effective
action to quell terrorist operations.