Riot and fire take place at British prison

April 11, 2009 18:33


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Parts of a British prison have caught fire after inmates went on a riot there. At one point, plumes of smoke could be seen coming from the Ashwell prison near Oakham in Leicestershire, 100 miles (160 kilometers) north of London. Fire engines, an ambulance and a helicopter are at the scene, and the perimeter has been secured. No casualties were immediately reported. Several vans filled with prisoners were removed from the scene Saturday as special police squads tried to retake control of the facility. The riot began early in the day, and Britain's Ministry of Justice said hours later that police were still in a standoff with the rioters. It was not known how many inmates were involved, but the prison holds about 600.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Nazi Swastika
November 13, 2018
Former death-camp guard tells German court he was never a Nazi