'Sept. 11 mastermind to remain in jail without trial'

US officials: Khalid Sheik Mohammed cannot be tried due to opposition of lawmakers in Congress and in New York, 'Washington Post' reports.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 13, 2010 10:03
2 minute read.
'Sept. 11 mastermind to remain in jail without trial'

khalid mohammed 298.88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Khalid Sheik Mohammed, considered the mastermind behind the 2001 September 11 attacks, is likely to remain in military detention without going through a trial in the near future, according to officials in the Obama administration, The Washington Post reported Friday night.

The administration has determined that Mohammed cannot be put on trial in a federal court due to the opposition of lawmakers in Congress and in New York.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
The shadow war heats up
Report: Awlaki came to Pentagon as guest after 9/11

Gov.-elect Andrew Cuomo said Friday that the trial of the professed mastermind shouldn't be held in New York state. There has also been little internal support for restarting a military trial at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, as this option would alienate liberal supporters, said The Washington Post.

Attorney General Eric Holder originally proposed trying Mohammed and four alleged accomplices in Manhattan federal court. But the administration backtracked after New Yorkers and elected officials, including Mayor Michael Bloomberg, objected to the costs and potential security threat.

Cuomo told reporters Friday he knows Holder and has worked with him. He said he would "advocate forcefully" to keep the trial out of New York state altogether.

Washington has indicated that President Barack Obama will ultimately have the final say regarding the trial, and a federal prosecution of Mohammed has not been discounted, said senior US officials. However, a trial is unlikely to take place before the next presidential election, the officials said.



Earlier this week, Holder said he would choose a venue for the trial soon.

Holder "says soon. Schumer says never. It's somewhere between the two," a senior administration official told The Washington Post on the condition of anonymity.

Mohammed was detained in Pakistan in March 2003 and was kept at secret CIA jails overseas until he was brought to Guantanamo Bay in September 2006.

In March 2007, the Pentagon issued a statement in which Mohammed confessed to the beheading of American journalist Daniel Pearl, and to having a central role in 30 other attacks and plots in the US and worldwide that killed thousands of victims.

"I decapitated with my blessed right hand the head of the American Jew, Daniel Pearl, in the city of Karachi, Pakistan," Mohammed told the military.

Related Content

Tamir Naaman-Pery, an 18-year-old cellist from the Kamon moshav, in Young Musicians Eurovision 2018
August 19, 2018
Israel takes a shot at another Eurovision title

By AMY SPIRO