Spain will go ahead with sale of 400 bombs to Saudi Arabia

Human rights groups including Amnesty International have denounced Western arms sales to Saudi Arabia.

By REUTERS
September 13, 2018 13:29
1 minute read.
Spain's Foreign Minister Josep Borrell speaks on his mobile phone at the start of a European Union

Spain's Foreign Minister Josep Borrell speaks on his mobile phone at the start of a European Union foreign ministers meeting in Brussels, Belgium July 16, 2018. (photo credit: REUTERS/FRANCOIS LENOIR)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

MADRID - Spain will go ahead with the sale of 400 laser-guided bombs to Saudi Arabia, Foreign Minister Josep Borrell said on Thursday, after the deal was halted amid concerns over the Saudi role in the war in Yemen.

"The decision is that these bombs will be delivered to honor a contract that comes from 2015, and was made by the previous government," Borrell told Onda Cero radio.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Human rights groups including Amnesty International have denounced Western arms sales to Saudi Arabia and its allies in a war which the United Nations says has killed more than 10,000 people and left 8.4 million on the brink of famine.

Several government ministries had worked on the issue for a week and the contract was reviewed three times by a commission that authorizes arms sales, Borrell said, adding, "We found no reason not to carry it out."

Asked whether Spain had received any guarantees that the weapons would not be used against the civilian population in Yemen, Borrell said the laser-guided bombs hit their targets with "extraordinary precision" of within one meter.

"This kind of weapon does not produce the same sort of bombing as less sophisticated weapons, launched a bit randomly, that create the sort of tragedy that we have all condemned."

The halting of the deal had created concerns in Spain over the future of a more lucrative contract, signed in July, for state-owned shipbuilder Navantia to supply warships to the Gulf kingdom.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The defense ministry said last month that the current Socialist government, which took power in June, had never sold arms that could be used against a civilian population and would review the criteria used to authorize arms sales.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Marius Nacht (L) and Yair Schindel (R)
September 26, 2018
Technology that heals

By JPOST.COM STAFF