Spanish police: Seven wounded, five attackers killed in second 'terrorist incident'

The operation came after a van attack in Barcelona on Thursday that left at least 13 dead.

By REUTERS, JPOST.COM STAFF
August 18, 2017 05:46
2 minute read.
Spanish police: Seven wounded, five attackers killed in second 'terrorist incident'

Officers investigate at the scene where police had killed four attackers in Cambrils, south of Barcelona, in this still image taken on August 18, 2017.. (photo credit: REUTERS TV)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

MADRID - Catalan police said on Friday they had killed five perpetrators of a second "terrorist incident" in the town of Cambrils, south of Barcelona.

Catalan emergency services said six civilians and a police officer had been injured in the attack in Cambrils, which police said was linked to Thursday's Barcelona van attack.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Catalan police said on Twitter that a bomb squad in Cambrils would carry out several controlled explosions after they determined that the attackers were carrying explosive belts.

On Friday morning, the regional head of the region announced that the explosive belts on the suspects were fake.

The incident came after a van attack in Barcelona on Thursday that so far has left 13 dead and more than 100 people injured.

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said the van attack in Barcelona was "jihadist terrorism" which required a global response.

"Today the fight against terrorism is the principal priority for free and open societies like ours. It is a global threat and the response has to be global," Rajoy told a news conference in Barcelona.



Content Warning: The following video contains graphic images.

 

A post shared by EVTV Miami (@evtvmiami) on


Also on Thursday, hours beforehand, a person was killed in an explosion in a house about 100 km (62 miles) southwest of Barcelona, in an incident linked to the attack, police added.

It was still not clear how many attackers had been involved. In another incident, police shot dead a man who had driven a car into a police checkpoint in Barcelona, though they had no evidence that this, too, was connected with the van attack.

Witnesses said the white van zigzagged at high speed down Las Ramblas, a busy avenue thronged with tourists, knocking down pedestrians and leaving bodies strewn across the ground.

Islamic State's Amaq news agency said: "The perpetrators of the Barcelona attack are soldiers of the Islamic State and carried out the operation in response to calls for targeting coalition states" - a reference to a US-led coalition against the Sunni militant group.

The claim could not immediately be verified.

Related Content

July 18, 2018
Pro-Palestinian Swedish politician says Israelis should be sent to U.S.

By JULIANE HELMHOLD