Suspects in France admit guilt in TA hit-and-run death

Pair fear they would suffer from an “anti-French sentiment” in Israel were they to go on trial here for killing Lee Zeitouni.

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF, REUTERS
January 1, 2012 01:25
1 minute read.
Hit-and-run victim Lee Zeitouni

Hit-and-run victim Lee Zeitouni 311. (photo credit: Courtesy: Facebook)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Two Frenchmen who fled to France after killing Israeli woman Lee Zeitouni in a hitand- run in Tel Aviv have admitted being guilty of her death, but refuse to go on trial in Israel, their lawyers said at a press conference in Paris on Thursday.

The two men, Claude Isaac Hayat and Eric Rubic, hit and instantly killed 25-year-old Pilates instructor Zeitouni as she crossed the street on September 16.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


According to Joseph Cohen- Sabban, attorney for Hayat, 32, and Françoise Cotta, attorney for Rubic, 38, the pair fear they would suffer from an “anti-French sentiment” in Israel were they to go on trial here.

Cohen-Sabban said that Israelis had complained about French people pushing up the price of apartments in Tel Aviv and that there were diplomatic tensions between Paris and Jerusalem over the Middle East peace process that could influence the case.

Hayat had received death threats by telephone from the boyfriend of the victim, and had gone into hiding, Cohen- Sabban said.

The two men “are well aware of the seriousness of the facts” and are at the disposal of the French courts to “answer for their actions,” said Francoise Cotta.

Cotta and Cohen-Sabban said their clients would face the same penalty in France – 10 years in prison – as in Israel, where, the two men, they claimed, would be in physical danger. Israeli legal sources said earlier this month that the two could face up to 20 years in prison if tried in Israel.



Last week, France’s first lady Carla Bruni sent a letter to Zeitouni’s mother, Kate, in which she promised that justice would be served in the case.

“I want to inform you that Israel’s request to investigate this matter has been received.

A prosecutor has been appointed and a judge has taken charge of the investigation.

The French legal system is doing its best without delay and at the same time is in constant contact with the Israeli authorities,” Bruni wrote in response to response to correspondence sent by the Zeitouni family.

Related Content

August 16, 2018
'Queen of Soul' Aretha Franklin dies at home in Detroit aged 76

By REUTERS