Swedish state TV: 'Strong Jewish lobby' behind Trump Jerusalem move

Sweden’s main public broadcaster apologized for an article that tied President Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital to the strength of the “Jewish Lobby.”

By JTA
December 7, 2017 20:11
2 minute read.
Sweden

Flag of Sweden. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Sweden’s main public broadcaster apologized for an article that tied President Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital to the strength of the “Jewish Lobby.”

In a broadcast Wednesday immediately following Trump’s address about Jerusalem, the broadcaster SVT asserted that the “Jewish Lobby in the US is incredibly strong,” and said the lobby “has championed this issue for a long time.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“It was an unfortunate choice of words that immediately was corrected by our senior news commentator,” Charlotta Friborg, executive editor and publisher SVT News, told JTA in an email.

Viewers had complained online that the assertion promoted anti-Semitic stereotypes about Jewish control over US foreign policy.

Separately, leaders of Dutch Jewry complained about their state broadcaster’s editorial choices in covering an assault on a kosher restaurant.

The NOS broadcaster placed a picture of Jerusalem on its website accompanying its report about the attack, in which a 29-year-old man waving a Palestinian flag smashed multiple windows of the HaCarmel restaurant in southern Amsterdam on Thursday.

NOS accompanied the article with a photo of the Israeli and American flags projected on the wall of the Old City of Jerusalem but removed the picture following complaints.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


“There were plenty of images from the anti-Semitic attack,” which was filmed in its entirety, tweeted Paul van der Bas, the chairman of the CIJO youth organization of the Hague-based Center for Information and Documentation on Israel, or CIDI. “But NOS uses a photo of Jerusalem. Why so suggestive?”

The criticism of NOS over the Jerusalem image follows earlier rebukes of the broadcaster by CIDI over its use of a picture showing a dead Syrian child in an article about an air strike on a military target in Syria last week that international media attributed to Israel.

NOS removed the picture following a protest by CIDI, which on Tuesday wrote on Twitter: “Fake News at NOS. A photo of a wounded/slain child in an article [about an incident] without civilian casualties.”

On Nov. 9, during a speech about the Kristallnacht pogroms of 1938, Ron van der Wieken, the director of the Central Jewish Organization on the Netherlands, accused some Dutch media, which he did not name, of “mobilizing support” for terrorist groups that seek Israel’s physical destruction.

“The ceaseless Israel-bashing that goes on in some Dutch media, as well as one national quality newspaper, is so persistent, so one-sided and selective that it must draw from a basic enmity to the idea of a national Jewish home,” he said.

Earlier this year, Israel refused on technical terms to extend the work permit of a reporter for NRC Handelsblad, a newspaper with national distribution that is considered a quality publication.

In January, the newspaper refused to correct an assertion in one of its articles that said “almost all the Arabs were driven out of Haifa” in 1948, the year of Israel’s independence, despite testimonies that they left despite pleas for them to stay by the mayor.

In 2016, an article by the same reporter about Hebron said Israeli soldiers “shot dead five Palestinians” in the city without mentioning the Israeli army’s claims that the Palestinians in question were shot while trying to stab Israelis. NRC has refused requests for a correction.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

September 19, 2018
U.S. seeking to negotiate a new treaty with Iran

By REUTERS