Terrorism prompts England badminton pull out

Decision to leave World Championships follows threat from Pakistan-based Islamic militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba.

By
August 9, 2009 12:44
Terrorism prompts England badminton pull out

security check 248 88 ap. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A terrorist threat has prompted England to pull out of the badminton World Championships scheduled to begin Monday in the southern Indian city of Hyderabad. Badminton England released a statement saying there had been a reported threat against the Championships by the Pakistan-based Islamic militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba. Chief executive Adrian Christy said there was consultation with the British Foreign Office and British High Commission and local police before making the decision to withdraw from the event - second only to the Olympics as badminton's leading tournament. "This was an incredibly tough decision and one we didn't take lightly," Christy said in a statement. "We were not prepared to risk the safety of our players, coaches and staff in what we felt could have been a very volatile environment. "The conclusion is that safety is of paramount importance and therefore, with great regret, the team will be returning home immediately." High performance director Ian Moss said the decision was supported unanimously by the squad. "Our athletes were extremely well prepared for these Championships but, at the end of the day, personal safety must take priority over performance," Moss said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

70th Primetime Emmy Awards; The cast poses backstage with their Outstanding Comedy Series award
September 18, 2018
'Mrs. Maisel' takes home seven Emmy awards

By REUTERS