Top security official: ISIS planing wave of attacks in France

Rare remarks by Patrick Calvar, the head of France's DGSI internal intelligence agency, to the parliament's defense committee spelled out "a new form of attack."

By REUTERS
May 19, 2016 16:30
2 minute read.
Charlie Hebdo

French police patrol near the Eiffel Tower as security in Paris is bolstered after a shooting killed 12. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

PARIS- Islamic State militants are gearing up for a campaign of bomb attacks on large crowds in France, host to next month's Euro 2016 soccer championships, its spy chief has said.

Rare remarks by Patrick Calvar, the head of France's DGSI internal intelligence agency, to the parliament's defense committee spelled out "a new form of attack ... characterized by placing explosive devices in places where there are large crowds and repeating this type of action to create a climate of maximum panic.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"Clearly, France is the most threatened and we know that Daesh (Islamic State) is planning new attacks," Calvar told the committee on May 10, according to a transcript of his testimony released to the media on Thursday.

The comments came six months after militants killed 130 people in coordinated assaults on cafes, bars, a football stadium and a music hall across Paris.

He said the militant group had the numbers to launch the new attacks, including some 645 French citizens or residents currently in Syria or Iraq, of which 400 were fighters. A further 201 were either in transit to or from the region, he said.

Euro 2016 starts on June 10 and runs for a month at 10 stadiums across France. About 2.5 million spectators are expected for 51 soccer matches involving 24 teams. There will also be "fan zones" for crowds watching games on big screens in major cities.

France's police force is stretched after two militant attacks last year and regular street protests.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


However, the government say all measures are in place to ensure it runs smoothly.

"We will not drop our guard," Prime Minister Manuel Valls told RTL radio on Thursday when asked about Calvar's comments.

In a reminder of the challenges facing security forces, a fake bomb left behind after a training exercise at Manchester United's stadium in Britain forced the evacuation of the 75,000-seater ground and the abandonment of a match last weekend.

Referring to the Arabic acronym for Islamic State, Calvar said Daesh was still using the same migrant routes through the Balkans to get its fighters into Europe.

However, with the group under pressure from US-led air strikes in Syria it would want to hit back in Europe to show its supporters that it was still strong.

"It's in a position where it would try to hit as quickly as possible and as hard as possible," Calvar said." It is facing military difficulties on the ground and so will want to divert attention and avenge coalition air strikes," he said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Actor Jason Alexander
October 18, 2018
Jason Alexander hosts inspiring L.A. Sheba Medical Center gala

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF