Turkish FM warns Israel not to repeat flotilla 'mistake'

In 'Sydney Morning Herald' interview, Turkish foreign affairs minister discusses new Turkish flotilla and a potential Taliban office in Istanbul.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
April 26, 2011 10:19
1 minute read.
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.

Davutoglu 311. (photo credit: Associated Press)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

In an interview on Monday in the Sydney Morning Herald, Turkish Foreign Affairs Minister Ahmet Davutoglu issued a warning for Israel as a second Gaza-bound flotilla is planned.

''We urge Israel not to repeat the same mistake," he said, referring to last year's raid on Mavi Marmara. "It is Israel's responsibility not to implement [a blockade] against Gaza. A fact-finding mission of the UN declared that this … is illegal."

RELATED:
'Apology and compensation for flotilla raid are red line'
Turkish Foreign Minister: Talks between Israel, Syria possible

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Davutoglu also reiterated his belief that the incident on the Mavi Marmara occurred in international waters. "The Meditteranean does not belong to any nation," he said.

During the interview, Davutoglu also confirmed that Turkey was considering hosting an office for the Taliban in Afghanistan.

According to Davutoglu's statements in the article, Afghan President Hamid Karzai was fully supportive of the idea. "Of course we support him," Davutoglu said of Karzai during the interview. "If there is anything Turkey can do, we will not hesitate to contribute."

According to Davutoglu, Turkey had been approached by former Afghan President Burhanuddin Rabbani to create offices for several groups, not just the Taliban. The Taliban request was, ostensibly, The Sydney Morning Herald reported,  to "give them a base from which to hold negotiations for an end to the war."



JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Chelsea Football
October 19, 2018
Chelsea blows the whistle on antisemitism

By TAMAR BEERI