(photo credit: AP)
Two Israelis who were in Myanmar when the devastating cyclone struck the country earlier this week have still not contacted their families in Israel.
Israel Radio reported Thursday that the Foreign Ministry said the silence from the two could be due to the fact that telephone lines in Myanmar were still not fully operational.
Meanwhile, internal UN documents said Myanmar's government was dragging its feet on giving visas to aid workers who are waiting to help the survivors of Cyclone Nargis.
One of the documents obtained by The Associated Press says: "Visas are still a problem. It is not clear when it will be sorted out."
The comments were made by UN officials during a meeting in Bangkok, Thailand on Wednesday to coordinate relief efforts.
It said UN Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon "will contact Myanmar" to arrange a meeting with high ranking officials on the issue.
State media in military-ruled Myanmar has said that 22,464 people died when the cyclone blasted the country's western coast on Saturday
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>