UNESCO denies involvement in Gaza art exhibition

The controversial “Loss of Innocence” exhibition was brought to the UK last year by anti- Israel activist Rod Cox.

By JONNY PAUL
August 22, 2010 04:02
1 minute read.
A DRAWING reproduced in an advertisement for ‘Loss of Innocence,’ an exhibition of photos and childr

Gaza art 311. (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

LONDON – The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) said it has no connection with the controversial exhibition of photographs and art by children from the Gaza Strip that toured Scotland last week.

The “Loss of Innocence” exhibition was brought to the UK last year by anti- Israel activist Rod Cox, a bar owner from Chester, and toured in four cities in Scotland – Dumfries, Dundee, Glasgow and Edinburgh – claiming it was supported by UNESCO Gaza.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


UNESCO in the UK said on Friday that it was not even familiar with the exhibition.

“I have been in contact with the UNESCO office in Ramallah, which has an antenna office in Gaza, and they have confirmed that they are not familiar with this project and have not contributed to the organization of the exhibition,” a UNESCO spokesman told The Jerusalem Post.

The exhibition was hosted by the extremist fringe group Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign.

The display has been erected in a number of universities and other venues, including Manchester Cathedral in the north of England, since last September.

Cox said he wants it to “achieve a wider awareness of Israel’s crimes” and wants the exhibition to show in schools.



“The pictures show attacks by the Israeli army on civilians. While the Israelis claim they are fighting a just war they are suppressing any evidence to the contrary. The pictures reveal evidence of bombs that tear off arms and legs, and of the widespread use of bulldozers in the front line, demolishing houses to bury people alive, as well as destroying agricultural land, so they could be evidence of war crimes, too,” he said.

Cox brought back the collection of children’s paintings and drawings after spending time in Gaza last year. He was part of the Viva Palestina convoy to Gaza, led by controversial former MP George Galloway in March 2009.

Earlier this year, the UK’s Charity Commission accused the group of misleading the public over the amount of money it had raisead for Gaza. The Commission said it raised around £180,000, not the over £1 million it had claimed.


Related Content

Israel soccer
June 24, 2018
Israeli soccer fans harassed at World Cup in Moscow

By JTA