U.S. government backs off case of female genital mutilation

The decision by the U.S. government "is sending a damaging message to law enforcement, the courts and to the courageous survivors who are breaking the silence around FGM"- human rights activist.

By REUTERS
April 13, 2019 00:29
2 minute read.
US Federal Courthouse [illustrative]

US Federal Courthouse 311 AP. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

 NEW YORK (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - A decision by the U.S. Department of Justice not to fight to defend a federal law banning female genital mutilation (FGM) sends a "damaging message" to those working to end the practice, advocates said on Friday.

Government lawyers said on Wednesday they would not appeal a decision by a Michigan federal judge who dismissed charges involving FGM as unconstitutional, ruling it was a state issue.
Congress in 1996 outlawed FGM, a ritual that involves partial or total removal of external genitalia, which the World Health Organization has called "a grave violation of the human rights of girls and women."


Half a million girls and women in the United States have undergone or are at risk of undergoing FGM, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.


The decision by the U.S. government "is sending a damaging message to law enforcement, the courts and to the courageous survivors who are breaking the silence around FGM," said Shelby Quast, an office director for Equality Now, an international human rights organization, in a statement.


About half of the nation's 50 states have laws outlawing the practice. Michigan law forbids the practice, but its law took effect after the case in question.


In the Michigan case, a federal judge late last year dismissed FGM charges against a doctor and others from the local Indian Dawoodi Bohra community involved in the mutilation of nine young girls in Detroit.


The judge said lawyers failed to prove that the federal government had the authority to regulate FGM and that such power lay in the hands of the states.


This week, Solicitor General Noel Francisco wrote in a letter to Congress that the Department of Justice "reluctantly determined" the wording of the law fails to defend the government's authority to enforce it.


He called FGM a "heinous practice" that "should be universally condemned" and urged Congress to fix the law.


Quast took issue with the solicitor general's reason, saying that girls are taken across state lines or outside the country for FGM, making it a federal issue.


Two months ago, the Department of Justice issued a statement on the International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation, calling it a federal crime punishable by imprisonment or removal from the country.


In a tweet on Thursday, former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said it was the government's responsibility to defend against FGM.


"They're choosing instead to abandon the fight for the health and human rights of women and girls around the world," she wrote on Twitter.


A criminal case against the Michigan doctor and others will continue based on other charges, including conspiracy and obstruction of justice, experts said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A fighter of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) holds an ISIL flag and a weapon.
May 22, 2019
UN envoy to Iraq calls for international support to prevent IS resurgence

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF