An American journalist convicted by an Iranian court of spying for the US has ended her hunger strike for health reasons, her father said Wednesday.
Roxana Saberi, a dual Iranian-American national was convicted last month of espionage and sentenced to eight years in prison after a one-day trial behind closed doors.
"Roxana called last night to inform me that she has ended her hunger strike," Reza Saberi told The Associated Press. "I'm relieved that she has done so to avoid a deterioration of her health."
Iran's judiciary spokesman Ali Reza Jamshidi denied on Tuesday that Saberi was ever on a hunger strike or that she was briefly hospitalized on Friday in Evin prison, where she has been held since her arrest in January.
The spokesman said an appeals court will hear the case next week.
Saberi's father said Roxana began a hunger strike April 21 to protest her imprisonment and had originally vowed to continue the hunger strike until she was freed.