US says 4 insurgents killed in Afghan clash

By
April 12, 2009 09:22

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

International and Afghan army forces killed four insurgents in a battle in southern Afghanistan, the US military said. The troops were attacked by gunfire and rocket-propelled grenades Saturday while patrolling in Shinkay district of Zabul province. They fired back and called in close-air support, a US statement said. Though the statement said four gunmen died in the battle, the provincial police chief said he had reports of as many as 22 Taliban killed. Abdul Rahman Furjung said that four bodies had been brought to the district police station but that locals reported finding many more dead in the area. Neither Furjung nor the US military reported any civilian casualties, and the US said no Afghan army or coalition troops were wounded. On the same day, a suicide bomber was killed in neighboring Helmand province when he tried to enter a police station, the Interior Ministry said. Police shot the would-be bomber before he could enter the compound and his explosives detonated. The attacker was the only person killed, the ministry said.

Related Content

July 22, 2018
Accused Russian agent Butina met with Stanley Fischer

By REUTERS