US scolds Russia over pacts with Georgia provinces

By
May 1, 2009 03:51

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The United States accused Russia on Friday of ignoring its commitments that ended its brief war with neighboring Georgia last year by signing agreements that would allow Russian troops on the border of Georgia's two breakaway provinces. State Department spokesman Robert Wood expressed the United States' "serious concern" over pacts that President Dmitry Medvedev signed with leaders of Abkhazia and South Ossetia. "This action contravenes Russia's commitments under the Aug. 12 cease-fire agreement brokered by French President Nicolas Sarkozy ," Wood said in a statement. Wood said the United States wanted Russia not only to abandon the agreements but to relocate its own troops to positions held before the conflict last August.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Protesters with painted faces pray in Cambodia
November 16, 2018
U.N.-Cambodian court convicts two former Khmer Rouge leaders of genocide

By REUTERS