US soldier kills up to 16 civilians in Afghanistan

Afghan minister says soldier burst into several homes in the middle of the night opening fire; soldier detained.

By REUTERS
March 11, 2012 14:59
1 minute read.
US soldier Afghanistan

US soldier Afghanistan 370. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - A US soldier went on a shooting rampage in southern Afghanistan on Sunday, bursting into the homes of civilians in villages near his base in the middle of the night and killing up to 16 people, an Afghan minister told Reuters.

Minister of Border and Tribal Affairs Asadullah Khalid, who is investigating the incident, said the soldier entered three homes, killing 11 people in the first one.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Other Afghan officials said at least seven people died. The Afghan Defense Ministry said that 15 civilians had been killed in the incident.

The incident came just weeks after US soldiers burned copies of large numbers of Korans at a NATO base, triggering widespread anti-Western protests, and plunging already strained ties between Kabul and Washington to a new low.

The soldier has been detained and an investigation is underway, the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) coalition said.

Civilian casualties have been a major source of friction between President Hamid Karzai's Western-backed government and US-led NATO forces in Afghanistan.

"I cannot explain the motivation behind such callous acts, but they were in no way part of authorized ISAF military activity," ISAF deputy commander Lt. Gen. Adrian Bradshaw said in a statement.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The Afghan Interior Ministry strongly condemned the killing of civilians.

"We condemn the shootings in the strongest terms possible and this will be fully investigated," Sediq Sediqqi told Reuters.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Clement Attlee
November 21, 2018
Former U.K. PM secretly took in Jewish refugee in 1939

By AMY SPIRO