US surgeon faces negligence charges in Australia

By
February 9, 2009 06:32

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An American doctor charged with manslaughter in the deaths of three patients at a rural Australian hospital repeatedly botched operations and performed surgeries he was not capable of handling, a prosecutor said Monday. In his opening statement in the pre-trial hearing of Jayant Patel, prosecutor Ross Martin also said the doctor lied on his application to Bundaberg Base Hospital by neglecting to reveal he had been reprimanded by medical boards in the United States. Patel is charged with 16 counts including manslaughter, causing grievous bodily harm and negligence relating to his job as director of surgery between 2003 and 2005 at the state-run hospital in Bundaberg town,370 kilometers north of Brisbane and faces life in prison if convicted. Patel has not entered a plea or spoken publicly about the accusations.

Related Content

Tamir Naaman-Pery, an 18-year-old cellist from the Kamon moshav, in Young Musicians Eurovision 2018
August 19, 2018
Israel takes a shot at another Eurovision title

By AMY SPIRO