Venezuelan government rejects tear gas attack on TV station

By
January 5, 2009 01:08

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Venezuelan government on Sunday condemned a tear gas attack last week at the studios of an opposition-aligned TV station. Information Minister Jesse Chacon said President Hugo Chavez's government "categorically rejects" violent acts such as Thursday's incident, when two people on a motorcycle threw the tear gas canister at the Caracas television station Globovision. According to Reporters Without Borders, a radical pro-Chavez group known as "La Piedrita," or "The Little Stone," has claimed responsibility. The canister detonated on the roof of the Globovision building, which was evacuated after the gas wafted down an air duct. The Paris-based media watchdog urged a quick and thorough probe to discourage further attacks. Chavez has often clashed with Globovision, but Chacon said Sunday that any protests should be peaceful and not interfere with the work of the station's employees. Chacon also called for a swift investigation.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

December 14, 2018
U.N. adopts breakthrough convention to address world migration crisis

By VICTOR CABRERA/THE MEDIA LINE