wilders 248 88.
(photo credit: Courtesy)
A Dutch lawmaker is planning to make a sequel to the anti-Islamic film that sparked protests among Muslims around the world.
Geert Wilders said in an interview published Thursday in a Dutch newspaper that the film will likely come out next year.
He said it will not be a copy of "Fitna," the film he released on the Internet last year that coupled images of terror attacks with verses from the Koran.
"This is the next phase," Wilders said in the interview printed in De Telegraaf.
Wilders leads the Freedom Party, which has nine lawmakers in the 120-seat Dutch Parliament. He did not immediately answer messages seeking comment.
He was banned from visiting Britain in February because the government deemed him a threat to "community harmony and therefore public security."
He also is being prosecuted in the Netherlands on a hate-speech charge for comments insulting Muslims.
Wilders told the Telegraaf he has "offers from people in New York and Hollywood" to help make the film but provided no specifics.
Ahmed Aboutaleb, the Moroccan-born mayor of Rotterdam, played down Wilders' new film plans.
"I hope he finds a good director because the first one wasn't much of a success," he said.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>