Iran: No point in concessions on nuke program

Islamic Republic's foreign minister tells 'Der Spiegel' that nuclear issue being used as an excuse to weaken Iran.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
November 13, 2011 17:40
1 minute read.
Iranian FM Ali Akbar Salehi

Salehi 311. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi on Sunday seemingly rejected the possibility of a diplomatic solution to ease tensions over the country's controversial nuclear program, accusing the West of using the nuclear issue as "a pretext" to weaken Iran.

"I think there is no purpose in making additional concessions," Salehi said in an interview with the German weekly Der Spiegel.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Clinton demands Iran respond soon to nuclear report
PM: Int'l community must stop Iranian nuclear program

Salehi rejected the report released by the International Atomic Energy Agency last week, which said that evidence suggests Iran is working toward a nuclear weapon. The Iranian foreign minister accused the UN nuclear watchdog, and its head Yukiya Amano, of giving up "objectivity," and bowing to pressure from "certain countries."

“We will call him and the atomic energy authority to account for these conclusions,” he told Der Spiegel.

On Friday, the UN nuclear watchdog showed letters and satellite images as part of evidence pointing to military dimensions to Iran's atomic activities, diplomats said, but Tehran's envoy dismissed it as "lousy" intelligence work.

Herman Nackaerts, head of nuclear inspections worldwide at the IAEA, made an hour-long technical presentation of the agency's latest report on Iran's nuclear program at a closed-door meeting for member states.



Ali Asghar Soltanieh, Iran's ambassador to the IAEA, said there were no nuclear-related activities at Parchin.

"There is no proof that Iranian activities are towards military purposes," he told reporters after the briefing.

"We do have conventional activities (at Parchin) and this has nothing to do with nuclear."

Saying the report had damaged the UN agency's credibility, Soltanieh added in English: "This kind of lousy job of intelligence created problems for all member states."
 
Click here for full Jpost coverage of the Iranian threat

Related Content

Bushehr nuclear Iranian
August 5, 2014
Iran and the bomb: The future of negotiations

By YONAH JEREMY BOB