Iran's military chief says ready for war with US, Israel

General Hassan Firouzabadi also warned Iran's neighbors in the Gulf not to allow a US attack on Iran from their territory.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
February 12, 2014 13:44
1 minute read.
Members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard (file)

Members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards 370. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

Iran's military chief on Wednesday warned that the Islamic Republic was ready for war with Israel and the United States.

"We are ready for the decisive battle with America and the Zionist regime (Israel)," Iranian Armed forces chief of staff General Hassan Firouzabadi said, according to an AFP report citing Iranian media.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Firouzabadi also warned Iran's neighbors in the Gulf not to allow a US attack on Iran from their territory.

"We do not have any hostility towards regional states, but if we are ever attacked from the American bases in the region we will strike that area back," he said.

The Iranian military commander said that US assertions that the military option "is on the table," constituted mere "political bluffing."

"Over the past decade, they brought their forces but came to the conclusion that they can't attack us and left."

"I say explicitly, if some have delusions of having any threats against Iran on their tables, they need to wear new glasses. There is no military option against Iran on any table in the world," he said.



Earlier this week, the commander of Iran's navy ratcheted up the Islamic Republic's recent rhetoric against the United States, threatening the Americans with major losses at sea should they chose to attack Iranian nuclear facilities.

“The Americans can fully expect that their warships [and] aircraft carrier will be sunk with all 5,000 crew aboard, in combat against Iran, and they could find its hulk in the depths of the sea,” Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy Commander Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi was quoted as saying by semi-official Iranian Fars News on Sunday.


Related Content

Bushehr nuclear Iranian
August 5, 2014
Iran and the bomb: The future of negotiations

By YONAH JEREMY BOB