Netanyahu serious at cabinet meeting 370.
(photo credit: Marc Israel Sellem/The Jerusalem Post)
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu reaffirmed Sunday that the international community should not ease up on pressuring Iran with regard to its nuclear program.
"We must remember that the Iranian regime has systematically misled the international community," the prime minister said at the beginning of his weekly cabinet meeting.
Netanyahu made the remarks a few days after the end of nuclear talks in Geneva between six world powers and Iran.
"Until we see actions, and not just words, the pressure on Iran by the international community must continue. If the pressure on Iran increases, the likelihood that Iran will dismantle its nuclear arms program will also increase," Netanyahu said.
Meanwhile, Iranian sources told London-based newspaper Al-Hayat
that the West has agreed for Tehran to enrich low-grade uranium.
This report joins a report from Al Monitor over the weekend
detailing Tehran's offer during the recent nuclear talks in Geneva.
According to Al Monitor
, Iran has offered to halt the production of near-weapons-grade enriched uranium, vowed to convert its arsenal of fuel rods and pledged to hand over used nuclear fuel for an unfinished heavy water reactor.
The offer supposedly consists of two stages, each to last at least six months, the source, speaking on condition of anonymity due to the secrecy surrounding the Geneva talks, told Al Monitor
Iran, in the first stage of the plan, would reportedly cease production of 20% enriched uranium and "try to convert the stock" so-far amassed to fuel rods for a research reactor.
Other elements of the proposal supposedly include: Iran's willingness to relinquish more information on the Arak heavy water reactor; allowance of full inspection of the Fordow underground enrichment plant; engagement in talks on curbing the scope of production at the Natanz enrichment plant; and Iran's endorsement of the Additional Protocol of the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty.
Despite the various ideas presented, Al-Monitor stated that the plan did not meet various demands made previously by the United States, such as its insistence that Tehran to remove its stock of 20% enriched uranium from the country.
The Middle East news site listed other calls made by the US that the plan did not address, like the complete suspension of activity at Frodow and Arak, and the country's increasing production of low-enriched uranium.
Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif cautioned against putting any stock in reports on the Iranian offer, saying on his Twitter feed that only members of the Iranian negotiating team know the Iranian proposal, and that they are only allowed to speak on the record. Anonymous sources, Zarif said, are only speculating.