Amid Israel debacle, Orange CEO files complaint with court over death threats

The French telecom giant declined to comment on the issue.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
June 16, 2015 13:51
1 minute read.
Stephane Richard

Stephane Richard. (photo credit: DANIEL BAR ON / AFP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

After coming under fire for comments he made about his company's participation in the Israeli market, Orange CEO Stephane Richard filed a complaint at a Paris court for death threats he received against himself and his family.

Citing an anonymous source, AFP reported that Richard filed the complaint last week before coming to Israel in order to apologize and clarify the company's position regarding Israel.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"Stephane Richard received death threats on his telephone and his personal data were published on an Internet site in the context of the controversy over Orange's presence in Israel," the source said.

Once these personal details were published, Richard received hundreds of calls, including death threats, the source told AFP.

The French telecom giant declined to comment on the issue.

Earlier this month Richard said that he would gladly cut ties with Israel “tomorrow” if it wasn’t so financially prohibitive.

After the statement was met with a storm of protest, Richard came to Israel and met with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and told him that Orange would not participate in the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign.



JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks at the opening session of the Knesset, October 15, 2018
November 17, 2018
Netanyahu to make last-ditch effort to prevent early election

By LAHAV HARKOV