Child shocks doctors after swallowing metal bracelet

If a child accidentally swallows a foreign object, he should be brought immediately to the closest hospital emergency room.

By
October 17, 2017 10:15
1 minute read.
Child shocks doctors after swallowing metal bracelet

. (photo credit: RAMBAM MEDICAL CENTER)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Rambam Medical Center doctors were shocked to find that a four-year-old boy had swallowed a long metal chain that made its way into his stomach. At the pediatric gastroenterology unit of the Haifa medical center’s Ruth Hospital, the boy was sedated, and the 10-centimeter-long piece of jewelry was “fished” and pulled out.

The boy’s sister noticed he was playing with a chain bracelet, which later disappeared; she realized that he had swallowed it and told her parents, who rushed him to the hospital. There, he underwent a series of tests that confirmed the suspicion that he had swallowed the unusual foreign object.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Since the toddler, who lives in the north, showed no symptoms and did not complain of pain – and to avoid an invasive procedure in such a small child – the doctors decided to keep him under observation. They thought that he might eliminate the chain naturally. But, two days later, they saw that it had remained in his stomach.

After it was removed through his esophagus and throat, he remained under observation and was discharged, feeling well, on Monday.

"At least theoretically, the chain could be stuck in the child’s stomach or in the child’s bowel and cause obstruction,” explained Prof. Ron Shaul, director of the pediatric gastroenterology unit at the Haifa children’s hospital. “We urge parents to keep a close eye on their children and avoid exposing them to small, dangerous objects and to keep them out of their reach.” If a child accidentally swallows a foreign object, he should be brought immediately to the closest hospital emergency room.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

October 16, 2018
Two antiquity smugglers arrested for bulldozing Jewish archaeological site

By URI BOLLAG