THE HISTORIC site of Jerusalem’s First Station is one of 4,000 conservation sites the municipality has listed on its website..
(photo credit: JERUSALEM MUNICIPALITY)
In the heart of Jerusalem, between the Old City and the city center, and between the historic neighborhoods of the German Colony and Yemin Moshe, lies the first train station of Jerusalem. Built in 1892, it served as the city’s main transportation route until 1998, when it was closed to train traffic and was left abandoned and neglected.
Today, after extensive renovation and conservation work, the First Station is open as a center for leisure, culture, culinary and sporting activities, attracting people of all ages from all over the globe.
Activities at the First Station cover a wide range of spheres, offering local residents and visitors a unique experience that combines old and new, leaving them wanting to return.Tourism and tours
– the Smart- Tour Visitors Center offers walking, cycling and Segway tours of nearby areas. It is also a first-of-its-kind information center in Jerusalem for tourists and visitors from all over the world.
A culinary encounter
– the First Station is home to an eclectic range of gourmet restaurants and cafes for every taste and occasion. The First Station also offers an ice cream parlor, fresh juice bars and health food options. Adom; Fresh Kitchen; Lechem Basar; Kitchen Station; Landwer Café; Fiori Pasta Bar (coming soon); Vaniglia; re:bar; Beit Hakavan; Station 9
An encounter with culture and art
– The First Station hosts a variety of cultural events almost every day on the beautiful plaza. From incredible festivals to communal dancing, live music and movie screening, there is always something to do. The Station Gallery presents changing art exhibitions. Every day, the central plaza hosts a variety of cultural events, such as festivals, communal dancing and live shows. Fashion designers, artisan craftsmen, farmers and boutique vendors offer their products at the Station’s Fair. A Musical Kabbalat Shabbat takes place every Friday at 17:00 during the summer months which is replaced by A Musical Havdala during the winter, one hour after Shabbat. These beautiful musical services are a collaboration of the ICCY and various Jerusalem communities and organizations.
Further details at www.firststation.co.il
Sports, entertainment and leisure
– The First Station is a perfect spot for sports, hosting a variety of activites from yoga, Pilates and zumba to running groups and TRX. International events are not uncommon, such as the Jerusalem Night Race, Jerusalem International Marathon and the Jerusalem Bicycle Expo. The Saucony venue offers first-class sporting gear and equipment and bicycles for rent..
- The newest and most exciting summer project is the "KidStation"- a brand new area on the northern end of the First Station offers a wide range of activities for all ages. The KidStation offers the following activities: Summer fun, Children's Sports Center, Train World, 7D Cinema and The Candy Train Shop. There are also community events for the whole family, such as the Kabbalat Shabbat and activities for children that are held in cooperation with the community councils.The First Station is open seven days a week, inviting visitors to enjoy the experience.
Address: 4 David Remez St.
Plenty of parking for cars and bicycles.
Phone: (02) 653-5239
Buses: Egged lines 7, 18, 71, 72, 74, 75, 77, 78
Weekly events at the First Station
Sundays to Fridays:
Designers & Fashion Fair
Sundays | 8 p.m.
: Weekly lessons: swing, salsa, folk dancing and more Mondays | 8:30 p.m.Cinema Station
Screening films in moonlight
Tuesdays | 8:30 p.m.L'Orient Express
Musical performances with a Mediterranean vibe
Wednesdays | 7 p.m.
Urban Jam Session
Thursdays | 8 p.m.Live Train Musical performances
Fun shows and Performances all day long 9 a.m. The Station fair:
artisanal & farmers market
11 a.m. Musical performances
5 p.m. Musical Kabbalat Shabbat Service
11:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m. Train theater
- Plays for Kids
. Brazilian Forró Celebration
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>