Deri asks for extension to biometric database pilot after authority admits it's not leak-proof

The Movement for Digital Rights slammed the admission last week as validation for its attack on the biometric database idea as exposing citizens to a new level of invasion of their privacy rights.

By
March 27, 2016 16:25
1 minute read.
A person uses a sensor for biometric identification on a smartphone in Berlin

A person uses a sensor for biometric identification on a smartphone in Berlin. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Interior Minister Arye Deri on Sunday requested a nine-month extension on the biometric database pilot, only days after a representative of the program admitted the database is not leak-proof.

There was some speculation after the hearing that Deri might have to back off seeking an extension, which previously had been his reported intention, but ultimately he requested an extension until December 31, 2016.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Last week, the Movement for Digital Rights slammed the admission by Naama Ben Zvi Riblis, a lawyer for the Biometric Database Authority, as proof that validated its attack on the entire new biometric database idea as exposing citizens to a new level of invasion of their privacy rights.

The NGO’s lawyer, Yehonatan Kleigar, stated, “At this meeting they put the truth on the table for the first time” as the authority “said on the record that the working assumption was that the entire biometric database would be hacked... and now we are not the only ones who are saying this... so why do we need this? Why take the risk?” Asked about the admission of how easily the database could be hacked, Knesset Constitution, Law and Justice Committee chairman Nissan Slomiansky’s spokesman said he did not remember the authority saying that, but, surprisingly, if they did say that, the chairman still “had no position” on whether this should impact moving forward.

Committee spokesman Shimon Malka said the authority making the admission of “no one will sign an insurance form that the database will never be hacked” was correct, while suggesting that the NGO had taken the statement a little bit further than what was said.

The initial pilot program started in June 2013 and expired in June 2015, but former interior minister Silvan Shalom had already extended the program nine months, with that extension due to expire soon.

Slomiansky summarized the views at the hearing as mostly agreeing that the biometric cards were positive developments, but with a debate about whether to continue the database.



Ben Zvi Riblis, in contrast, said the database should be continued, but that possibly it would only contain facial recognition data and not fingerprint data.

The phenomenon of forging false identity cards led the Knesset to authorize the pilot for new identity cards in 2009 and to authorize managing the database in August 2011.

Related Content

The temple mount on the Ninth of Av, July 22, 2018.
August 18, 2018
Mayor of Arab city in Israel condemns police shooting terrorist

By MAARIV ONLINE, JONATHAN WEBER ROSEN