Former president Peres released from hospital after suffering irregular heartbeat

Sheba hospital releases 92-year-old former statesman after his second trip to the hospital this month.

January 26, 2016 14:43
1 minute read.

Former president Shimon Peres at the Peres Peace House, on the shores of Jaffa. (photo credit: MARC ISRAEL SELLEM)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Israel’s ninth president Shimon Peres was discharged from the Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer on Tuesday after spending two nights there under observation following tests that showed on Sunday that he had an irregular heartbeat. 

Doctors pronounced Peres fit and well, particularly for a man of his age.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

It was the second hospital stay for 92-year-old veteran politician this month.

According to the doctor treating Peres at Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer, the decision to release home the former president was made after a series of health scans resulted clear.

On Sunday evening, emergency responders arrived to Peres' home and found that he had suffered from mild arrhythmia.

Peres was then taken to the hospital, where on Monday doctors advised him to remain in the care for an extra day.

In view of the fact that it was his second hospitalization within a period of ten days, doctors insisted that Peres remain hospitalized a second night so that they could continue to monitor his progress.

On January 14, the same hospital released the senior statesman in stable condition after he had suffered a mild heart attack.

Related Content

Likud MK Oren Hazan
August 19, 2018
MKs harassed after phone numbers published