Four young women detained for allegedly tear-gassing Arab taxi drivers in Jerusalem

After complaints from 2 taxi drivers, police find and arrest 4 Yitzhar residents in possession of tear gas.

November 21, 2014 01:36
Taxis in Israel

Taxis in Israel. (photo credit: MARC ISRAEL SELLEM/THE JERUSALEM POST)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Four young women from the Yitzhar settlement were arrested in Jerusalem on Thursday on suspicion that they attacked two different Arab taxi drivers with tear gas.

An Arab taxi driver told police that he was attacked with tear gas by four Jewish girls on King George Street in the capital, saying that the incident was nationalistically motivated. The driver did not require medical treatment after the attack.

An additional Arab taxi driver later reported being attacked with tear gas by four young women in the city center as well.

Police carrying out searches for the suspects located and detained four young women from Yitzhar on the Ben Yehuda promenade in the capital.

Police also found tear gas among the suspect's possessions. The Jerusalem Magistrates Court released the suspects on Friday on  condition that they would not come to Jerusalem for 15 days. They were also ordered to deposit 500 NIS each with the court.

Elsewhere in the capital on Thursday night, Arab youths threw stones toward Border Police officers in the Jabel Mukabar neighborhood.

The security forces dispersed the youths and no injuries were reported, according to police.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A GROUP of women partake in Yad La’isha’s annual ‘Women Moving Mountains’ hike in order to raise awa
March 20, 2019
‘No one should be an aguna for even a day’