(photo credit: REUTERS)
A butcher shop in Jerusalem’s Mahaneh Yehuda market was shut down on Thursday by the municipality after inspectors found “a large number of mice and cockroaches running around, rodent poison scattered on the food, outdated products sold and scraps of rotten meat.” The municipality said the store was an “immediate danger to public health.”
The shop, located at 15 Mahaneh Yehuda Street, is called Yehoshua Butcher.
The Jerusalem Court for Municipal Affairs, which accepted the position of the municipality, said the findings were very serious.
There was evidence the shop had not been cleaned for a long time. Drains were filthy and full of rotting garbage and cigarette butts, the municipality said, adding that the meat-grinding machine was found near a nest of cockroaches. It was clear, it said, that the owners held a total disregard for customers and their health.
The owner was given a few hours to get out before the shop was closed down. The city’s veterinary service will continue to watch the butcher shop to make sure the order is observed and will make surprise visits to other food establishments to ensure they are following the rules of the Health Ministry.
The ministry reiterated that customers should purchase meat only from establishments with updated stamps showing they have been approved, and that the meat and other products must be kept at the proper temperature, without being defrosted and refrozen.