Hebron shooter Elor Azaria collapses, evacuated to hospital

Elor Azaria was at the center of a countrywide controversy when he was convicted of manslaughter after he killed a Palestinian perpetrator who had already been neutralized.

By
June 25, 2017 20:24
1 minute read.
SGT. ELOR AZARIA appears in the Jaffa Military Court in November.

SGT. ELOR AZARIA appears in the Jaffa Military Court in November.. (photo credit: FLASH90)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Elor Azaria, the Israeli soldier convicted of manslaughter for shooting an immobilized Palestinian assailant, collapsed on Sunday and was hospitalized at the Nahshonim army base where he is being held, Hebrew media reported.

Associates of the Azaria family who spoke with Hebrew media said the stress of being convicted in February and an upcoming sentencing decision led to the incident. Azaria was given an 18-month sentence, however, his defense team filed an appeal on sentencing and a decision is expected in a few weeks.

According to Channel 2, Azaria’s parents came to visit him and his life is not in danger.

Azaria – a sergeant in the Kfir Brigade, since demoted to the rank of private – was convicted of manslaughter in February for the March 2016 killing of Abdel Fattah al-Sharif, who had stabbed another soldier in Hebron and was lying on the ground after being shot and wounded.

A final appeal of the guilty verdict in late May turned into a shouting match as a panel of five judges of the IDF Appeals Court questioned Azaria’s defense team about holes in their arguments to overturn the verdict.

The judges also heard the prosecution’s appeal that the 18-month prison sentence was too light and pressed both sides to again mediate. The prosecution said it would check with the Military Advocate General.

A number of Israeli politicians including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have called for a pardon of Azaria.

Yonah Jeremy Bob contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C
July 20, 2019
Congress tackles the anti-Israel boycott, but bipartisanship is fleeting

By RON KAMPEAS/JTA

Cookie Settings