IDF arrests several Palestinians as manhunt for Barkan terrorist continues

Troops carry out arrests overnight in terrorist's home village.

IDF forces searching for the Barkan terrorist  (photo credit: IDF SPOKESMAN’S UNIT)
IDF forces searching for the Barkan terrorist
(photo credit: IDF SPOKESMAN’S UNIT)
Israeli security forces arrested several Palestinians in the West Bank village of Shuweika near Tulkarm in a massive manhunt for the terrorist suspected of shooting dead two Israelis and wounding a third in the Barkan industrial area on Sunday.
“Following the terror shooting that took place yesterday in the Barkan Industrial Park, in which Kim Levengrond-Yehezkel and Ziv Hajbi – may their memories be blessed – were killed and another female civilian was injured, last night IDF troops working with the Shin Bet [Israel Security Agency] and Border Police, operated in the village of Shuweika, where the terrorist was from,” read a statement from the IDF’s Spokesperson’s Unit on Monday.
“As part of those activities, a number of arrests were made in the village. IDF soldiers and security forces will continue their search for the terrorist until he is caught,” the statement added.
On Sunday morning, 23-year-old Ashraf Walid Suleiman Na’alwa reportedly shot dead Kim Levengrond-Yehezkel, 29, of Rosh Ha’ayin, and Ziv Hajbi, 35, from Rishon Lezion. He also is suspected of shooting a third woman, seriously injuring her, before fleeing the scene with the Carlo Gustav weapon he had used.
According to Palestinian media, security forces detained the shooter’s sister overnight in Nablus, and clashes broke out in the area of Yatta in the southern Hebron hills while IDF troops were conducting searches.
Na’alwa had a permit to work at the Barkan park where he had been employed as an electrician for the past seven months at a factory run by the Alon Group. Israel is searching for him with the help of Palestinian security forces.
“There is full coordination between the security forces when it comes to the manhunt for the terrorist who carried out the Barkan attack. The information collected at this stage is supposed to assist in tracing the terrorist’s movements from the moment of the incident to his current whereabouts,” a Palestinian security source told Ynet News.
Following the attack, IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Gadi Eisenkot met with the head of Central Command, Maj.-Gen. Nadav Padan, after which it was decided to send additional troops to the area from the Central Command and Samaria Brigade.
Checkpoints in the Samaria region were closed as part of the manhunt.
The Border Police’s counter-terrorism Yamam unit; troops from the IDF’s elite Duvdevan, Lotar and Oketz units; and Shin Bet forces are participating in the manhunt for Na’alwa, entering his village Sunday afternoon.
Clashes broke out in Shuweika on Sunday night as troops arrived at Na’alwa’s home. Palestinians threw Molotov cocktails and rocks at troops. No injuries were reported.
Troops from the Menashe regional brigade mapped the building ahead of a possible demolition order. The terrorist’s brother was reportedly among the suspects arrested and interrogated. Detainees were transferred to the Shin Bet to determine if they knew of Na’alwa’s plans or helped him to escape from the scene.