Israeli suspected in 1998 Haifa murder extradited from Berlin by police

Police track down suspect living under a false identity after fleeing the country.

January 20, 2016 08:39
1 minute read.
1998 murder victim Edward Rothberg

1998 murder victim Edward Rothberg. (photo credit: Courtesy)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Eighteen years after he fled Israel to escape a murder charge, a former Haifa resident was in court on Wednesday, the day after he was extradited from Germany.

Gennady Galkin, 43, stayed silent at Haifa Magistrate’s Court as he was bombarded with questions about the night 18 years ago when he allegedly stabbed 25-year-old Technion student Edward Rothberg to death during a fight at a Haifa nightclub.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The only words he had to say during the hearing were “I made a mistake.”

According to Ch.-Insp. David Solomon, the head of the homicide unit of the Coastal District, around two years ago police received information that Galkin was living in Germany under the assumed name “Mark.” Solomon said they launched an undercover organization with German police and managed to locate Galkin in the Berlin area three months ago.

The police said on Wednesday that the extradition process took months of cooperation between Israeli prosecutors and their counterparts in Germany. Last week officers flew to Berlin to escort Galkin back to Israel on Tuesday night. He was taken for further questioning ahead of his remand extension.

On Wednesday, the Haifa Magistrate’s Court extended his remand by six days.

His attorney, Boris Sherman, told reporters on Wednesday that his client has cooperated with investigators and admits only that he was at the Jericho nightclub on the night of the murder.


Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

November 13, 2018
Mac Haifa edges Hap Hadera 2-1