Israeli tourist killed after falling off zip line ramp in Peru

The Israeli Embassy in Lima is investigating the cause of the man's death.

April 8, 2015 23:00
2 minute read.

The ruins of Machu Picchu in Peru. (photo credit: Wikimedia Commons)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An Israeli tourist was killed Wednesday in Peru after a serious accident at a zip line site, the Foreign Ministry confirmed.
The man, who was in his 20s, was killed after falling off a zip line ramp at a site run by Natura Vive, located not far from the well-known Inca citadel of Machu Picchu. Officials say he was traveling in a group with a few other Israelis.

His family has been informed and the Israeli Embassy in Lima is currently investigating the incident.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

In Thailand, only hours earlier, a 12-year-old Israeli girl was killed in a fire that broke out on a tour boat. The girl was on the ferry with her family in southern Thailand, where they were visiting for Passover vacation, when the fire broke out.

The ferry, The Onang Princess 5, was en route to Phuket from Krabi when the fire broke out at approximately 3:30 p.m. An Israeli couple was aboard the ship with their three children, according to Nati Hadad, an Israeli search and rescue worker, stationed in Thailand's Ko Samui.

The couple's 12-year-old child went to use the bathroom, just before the fire broke out. The fire began in the ferry's engine room, close to the location of the bathroom.

The girl is believed to have choked from the smoke and was unable to escape the ferry, which quickly burned and sank. The rest of the 114 passengers and crew aboard were rescued, including the girl's family.

On Sunday, a 22-year-old Israeli man was found violently beaten to death at the ruins of a Franciscan monastery in Berlin.  Investigators had originally believed that the victim, discovered on Easter morning, may have been a homeless person. However, investigators subsequently discovered a pair of sweatpants in the area which had an Israeli passport in its pocket. The victim was too badly beaten about the face to match it with the passport photo.

In Israel on Tuesday, 40-year-old Yair Shapiro fell to his death Tuesday while hiking in Nahal Og near the Dead Sea. Search and rescue personnel from the police and the IDF managed to locate the man but was pronounced dead at the scene.

Related Content

July 21, 2018
Syrian regime pounds ISIS near Golan Heights