Stabbed security guard’s condition becoming stable, but life still in danger

Asher Elmaliach showed "signs of awakening" Monday morning.

Central Bus Station in Jerusalem after stabbing on December 10, 2017. (Credit: United Hatzalah)
The condition of the security guard critically injured in Sunday’s stabbing attack at the Jerusalem Central Bus Station has stabilized, but his life is still in danger, a spokeswoman for the Shaare Zedek Medical Center told The Jerusalem Post on Monday.
Asher Elmaliach showed “signs of awakening” on Monday morning, but he remained in a coma, connected to life-support systems in the hospital’s intensive care unit.
46-year-old Elmaliach was stabbed in the heart by Yasin Abu al-Qur’a, a 24-year-old from the Nablus area, who was apprehended and arrested immediately after the attack and taken in for questioning.
Police have not clarified details of the attacker’s background, but reports have said he acted as a “lone wolf,” without receiving guidance or assistance before the attack. It has been assumed that the stabbing was a response to US President Donald Trump’s declaration recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
On Monday, it was revealed that al-Qur’a was not stopped by a taxi driver who witnessed the attack, but by a fellow security guard. A video shows that security guard knocking the attacker to the ground and the taxi driver arriving later and trying to stop what he thought was an ordinary fight between two young men.
Meanwhile, five days after Trump’s announcement, the eastern part of Jerusalem remained relatively quiet. No major protests or confrontation with security forces were reported on Monday.
Police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld told the Post there were no incidents and that “regular security measures continue to prevent illegal demonstrations.”
Two men were arrested for allegedly throwing rocks at a group of police officers who were handling a car accident on the road between the neighborhoods of Ras al-Amud and Silwan.
The two were taken to the Shalem District Police station for questioning.
According to a police statement, the accident happened when a driver lost control of a vehicle and hit a utility pole. A woman and her daughter were lightly injured. The statement added: “The police will act determinedly and firmly against any attempt to harm its work to save lives and assist residents.”