Tel Aviv schools under heavy security amid searches for Dizengoff gunman

As part of municipal security precautions, security forces remain reinforced throughout the city on 24-hour patrols.

January 3, 2016 08:01
1 minute read.

Tel Aviv gunman moments before he starts shooting

Tel Aviv gunman moments before he starts shooting


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Security around schools in Tel Aviv and other crowded areas in the city were set to be bolstered Sunday in the wake of Friday’s fatal shooting on Dizengoff Street.

As searches continued for the perpetrator of the shooting, the Tel Aviv Municipality said that it would deploy more security guards, although it encouraged the city’s residents to adhere to their daily routine.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

School trips and activities were set to continue as scheduled, the municipality announced.

As part of municipal security precautions, security forces also remained reinforced throughout the city on 24-hour patrols.

Following security assessments Saturday with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and senior security officials, Tel Aviv Mayor Ron Huldai underlined that studies would take place as usual this week, albeit under highlighted security.

However, Huldai expressed his empathy toward worried parents in light of the existing tensions.

Late on Saturday night, large numbers of police deployed in the north Tel Aviv quarter of Ramat Aviv after locals reported seeing an individual who may fit the description of the gunman who attacked a bar on Dizengoff Street a day earlier.

An ongoing manhunt since Friday afternoon's attack has continued in and around the Tel Aviv area for the shooter believed to be responsible for killing two Israelis and wounding several more in the suspected terrorist attack.

The suspect, named on Saturday as Nashat Milhem, 31, is believed to still be armed with the submachine gun he allegedly used in the attack, and to pose a clear and present danger to the public.

Special police patrol units and officers from the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) continued Saturday to search door-to-door at apartment buildings and construction sites in and around Tel Aviv for Milhem, a native of the Arab village of Arara in northern Israel.

The two victims killed in the attack were named as Alon Bakal of Karmiel, 26, the manager of the pub where the shooting began, and Shimon Ruime of Ofakim, 30, who was attending a birthday party for a friend at the establishment.

Related Content

August 19, 2018
Convicted kosher slaughterhouse CEO freed by Trump arrives in Israel