Turkish man sentenced to life in prison for murdering, decapitating lover

Demirahan admitted that he had killed Denis and cut up her body, but has claimed that the killing was in self-defense after she attacked him.

March 6, 2016 18:29
1 minute read.

Gavel [Illustrative]. (photo credit: INIMAGE)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Tel Aviv District Court on Sunday sentenced a Turkish man to life in prison for murdering and decapitating his lover during a fight over money in their apartment in Tel Aviv.

Idan Demirahan murdered Ilona Denis by striking her with a hammer on August 3, 2013, after the two had been a couple, including living together since August 2012.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The court also ordered Demirahan to pay a NIS 258,000 fine to Denis’s young adult daughter as compensation for losing her mother, though he had argued that he has limited financial means and would be unable to pay a large fine.

Demirahan had been covering most of their joint rent and had lent money to Denis, but wanted her to pay him back or start paying rent.

Denis collapsed after being struck with a hammer. Demirahan remained with her smoking cigarettes for an hour until she died.

After that, he decapitated her and cut up her corpse, dumping various garbage bags stuffed with body parts throughout Tel Aviv, including one he placed a garbage can near the Hagana Train Station.

Despite the mutilation of her body, Denis was quickly identified through DNA testing.


Demirahan was arrested three days later while making arrangements to flee to Turkey.

He admitted killing Denis and cutting up her body, but claimed that the murder was committed in self-defense after she attacked him.

In addition, he said that he mutilated her body and tried to cover up her death because he did not think that the police would believe him that she had first attacked him with a hammer and a knife before he killed her.

The fine was notable since Denis’ daughter is grown-up and was not dependent financially on her mother.

However, the court noted that the law on the issue says that the fine is a question of values, justice and compensating for emotional harm rather than a mathematical calculation.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A bridge, part of the tracks of Israel's new high-speed rail line (September 23, 2018).
September 25, 2018
Tel Aviv-J’lem rail operating without security cameras