Ya'alon freezes decision to cut back on southern security guards

The decision is part of "lessons learned" from Operation Protective Edge, defense sources said.

By
October 2, 2014 16:52
1 minute read.
Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon

Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon speaks at INSS conference. (photo credit: ARIEL HERMONI / DEFENSE MINISTRY)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon ordered the IDF to examine security arrangements around southern communities, following his decision to freeze an earlier move aimed at cutting back on the number of security guards protecting communities that border the Strip.

Ya’alon ordered the Defense Ministry to freeze the planned cutback until January 1, and asked the army and ministry to closely examine security arrangements around southern communities, in light of lessons learned from the recent Gaza war, security sources said.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Avi Naim, chairman of the Union of Local Authorities and head of the Beit Aryeh Regional Council, welcomed the decision, calling it the “right step that needed to be taken. Now we must examine ways to improve the standing and authority of the guards as a most important security element.”

Earlier this week, a security guard near Alumim, close to Gaza, apprehended an 18-year-old Palestinian who infiltrated the country from the Strip.

The suspect was armed with a knife and a knuckle-duster. For months, local authority officials in the South have campaigned to reverse the ministry’s decision to decrease the number of security guards in the area. The officials said the guards formed a vital component and a last layer of defense against terrorists from Gaza.

Related Content

Rami Feinstein
August 18, 2018
Music from the heart

By ARIEL DOMINIQUE HENDELMAN